Children are born with a ‘no fear’ attitude. They need this so that they can learn to walk, stand, examine objects, even though they may be dangerous!
If they got scared every time they fell down, they would never try to get back up again. But because of this, they also need to learn what is safe and what isn’t. Thats where we come in!
Learning Baby and Child First Aid and CPR is so Important
I have found this to be essential on two separate occasions in the last two
years. In the space of 23 months, I had to perform the choking first aid to two infants that I did not know.
A 6 month old in a park and an 11 month old in a coffee shop. Maybe I was just in the right place at the right time, and maybe I was just lucky that the children made a full recovery, but the point is I had the skills and I didnt have to THINK about what I needed to do because I had learned it and I just knew.
No matter how many hazards you think you’ve removed in the home, the reality is that children will still fall and bump their head, slide off a bed or accidentally ingest something they should not (tick, tick, tick for me and my children!). That’s why supervision is one of the keys to keeping your child safe at home.
As your child grows and their environment changes, they will be able to reach new heights (not metaphorically!) and they will learn to climb and open things, so this is where you need to be alert for new hazards.
Teaching your child about what’s safe and what’s not is important but we also acknowledge that when you say NO! They think *YES!*, so consider making a play area of their own where they find things that are much more interesting!
In Australia we have Australian Standards for:
- Prams (note standards are different in different countries)
There are NO Australian standards for:
- Changing tables
- Safety gates
Burns In Children
Burns are a major cause of injury in children, especially those aged
between 1 – 2 years, due to their sudden ability to mobilise and
Did you know…
- At 60 ºC, it takes one second for hot water to cause third-degree burns.
- At 55 ºC, it takes 10 seconds for hot water to cause third-degree burns.
- At 50 ºC, it takes five minutes for hot water to cause third-degree burns
You can set your hot water heater to 120℉ or 49℃, this will minimise the
risk of burns when they accidently turn on the tap or jump in the bath before
you’ve checked it.
Electrical safety in the home
Here are tips for electrical safety at home:
- Get a licensed electrician (thanks hubby!) to install safety switches,which cut power off quickly to avoid electrocution.
- Get a licensed electrician to do any repairs.
- Use power point covers.
Slip & Fall
If your childs hits their head from heights greater than a meter, they
need to be seen immediately by a doctor.
When your child starts crawling, install safety guards or locks across
Don’t leave your babies unattended even for a second on a high surface,
table top, change table or kitchen surface.
If your child has a fall and starts acting out of the ordinary, call an
Emergency services can be reached on 000 in Australia or 112 worldwide. If you accidently dial 911, it will go through to Australian emergency services!
Baby CPR Course
As I said earlier, learning baby and child first aid needs
to be a priority nowadays. We live in a hard and fast world and knowing what to do literally can be the difference between life and death.
That’s where we come in! You can take a look at our classes here and if
you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.